Alexander B. Kimball
Alex has a unique ability to organize and
motivate others in a positive direction. He feels alive, healthy and energized
when he is given an opportunity to help a group grow, identify, and pursue life-giving dreams. He uses creative thinking and problem solving with positive intention to help a group articulate and identify the steps and procedures. He is thrilled to help people as individuals and groups to be growing and thriving in their journey of becoming who they were intended to be.
His visionary abilities allow him to understand clients and take them to realistic design and opportunities not considered. His understanding of the design process for private, civic and public/private development helps them to see where they are today and where they want to be tomorrow
and having the skill sets to accomplish the goals.
He is a visionary architect and urban planner that designs
unique places that deliver memorable experiences and attract millions of people everyday. In the late 1970’s,
he brokefrom conventional architects who focus on
advancing architectural forms, to advance the
creation of memorable places where people can gather and experience a sense of community. Creating places people gather.
His goal is to ultimately transform the economic
and social landscape of neighborhoods, cities and regions.
They merge public life, shops, parks, restaurants,
entertainment, housing and nature into
one place and set the bar for the way cities are made.
His portfolio has expanded beyond its retail
entertainment roots to include hotels, conference centers, residential, multi-family and single family and offices. With these projects in his portfolio he has the ability and
knowledge to create not just stand-alone architecture.
His designs use all the pieces and parts of his experiences to create three-dimensional mixed-use projects of transit-oriented mixed-use hubs; major urban districts; waterfronts;
town centers; community plans; and visionary master plans.
Highlights of Qualifications:
• More than 35 years of experience and
an Architectue portfolio that includes hundreds
of built and economically successful projects.
• Ability to think and question all
possibilities of a project leading to completely
tested and executed“ on paper” realities.
• Knowledgeable and talented in all phases of
architecture including planning, design,
development and construction with in-depth
pre-development, pre-design and pre-construction
giving valuable wisdom to expand a project’s vision.
• Ability to organize and motivate
others in a positive directior.
• Ability to break from convention to advance
the creation of memorable places where people
can gather and experience a sense of community.
• Offer conceptual and design services that integrate
pre-deveopment and leasing strategies, planning,
architecture design and landscape design all of
which “create a place people gather.
• Expert at three-dimensional mixed-use projects
including transit-oriented, mixed-use hubs; major
urban districts; urban waterfronts; town center;
community plans and visionary master plans.
• Experience in retail, housing/residential,
public/private, marinas & city waterfronts, amphitheatres,
marketplaces, multi-use, entertainment, medical
office/clinics, hi-tech offices, hotels, multi-family housing,
neighborhoods, downtown revitalizations, parking
and major parking structures.
• Designed major regional shopping centers worldwide and majority of architectural design work for the Hahn Group.
• Master planning and design work for Urdan Rehab, City Riyadh, Saudi Arabia — a community for the
new Capital included low-rise housing, mid-rise housing
and high-rise housing for 40,000 people, parks,
plazas, schools, retail complexes and entertainment.
• Designed 2-story Bellevue Square — Bellevue, WA; Uwajimaya Village & Metropolitan Park Office Towers —
Seattle, WA; Philadephia Market Place — Philadelphia, PA.
• Renovation of historical award winning
Adolphus Hotel — Dallas, WA and eight historical
office buildings throughout Southern California.
• Renovation of historical “Dallas West End”
including the creation of its entertainment and
downtown district and the planning and
design of Horton Plaza — San Diego, CA.
Both as public private development.
• Designing, developing and constructing affordable
housing in Washington State. More than
50 houses sold then for under $70,000 and would now
be sold today for more than $750,000 each.
• Managed 36 nursing homes and 16 retirement properties. In additiona to operations, secured land and developed two new 200 unit facilities — Phoenix, AZ & San Antonio, TX.
• Mixed-use redevelopment of Ontario Plaza —
Ontario, CA as public private development.
• Designed Factoria Mall — Factoria, WA including
remodel expansion and created vision and obtained
zoning for 800 housing untis over existing parking.
• Partnered with Mulvanny Architects including
Vista Field Entertainment District, Factoria expansion,
Columbia Park Visitors center, Anthony’s
Homeport restaurant — Bellingham, WA. White center
Salvation Army Community Center — Seattle, WA
• Clover Island master plan and design of Marinas, flood overflow, including multi-family housing, hotels, restaurants, waterways, pedestrian promenades, arks, amphitheatre, bridges, & retails — Kennewick, WA.
• Southridge Community — Kennewick, WA a 2530
acre community designedto attract and absorb the
expansion of Kennewick for the next 30 years and
to provie an attraction for visitors at the city gate.
• Tulalip Tribes Quil Ceda Village on the Tulalip
reservation — Marysville, WA. Master plan and visioning charrettes for the first of 600-acrew worth ofdevelopments. Casino, tribal gathering place amphitheatre, outlet mall, retail parking, future hotel conference center.
• River Bend Marina and community
master plan development — Pasco, WA.
• Whidby Island Naval Community Center,
Fort Lewis Officers Lodge, Lucky Eagle Casino
Lodge, Hartman Hotel in Kirkland, WA.
• Carl Maston, Architect — Los Angeles, CA
• Willis Boyd, Architect, Inventory — Long Beach, CA
• Nathaniel Curtis, Architect, FAIA —
New Orleans, LA & Los Angeles, CA.
• Cal Strab, Architect, Dean of Architecture,
Arizona State University — Tempe, AZ
• Wright Foundation — Scottsdale, AZ
• Polo Solori, Architect, Community
& City Visionary — Scottsdale, AZ
• Charles Kober, Architect, FAIA — Los Angeles, CA
• Jon Jerde, Architect, FAIA, Architect, Designer, Planner
1972 Charles Kober Associates,
Architect— Los Angeles, CA
1977 Charles Kober Associates — Seattle, WA
1980 West Group, Developmental Partner
1982 John Jerde, Developmental Partner
1984 Danmore Corp, Executive Vice
President — Bellevue, WA
1985 Scalter Kimball Architects, Partner
1987- present Kimball Architecture,
Owner — Seattle, WA